Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Virtual Tour Of My Office

So have you figured out one of the bad things about reading a blog?  No choice over content.  I mean, you could get in touch with me and let me know if there is anything that you would specifically like to know about, but since no one has done that I'm kinda on my own here.  As such, I have decided to share a few photos of my work environment with y'all.  Ready?


This is the view from my chair.  I usually have even more paper on my desk than is reflected here (I did a lot of catching up on Monday) and more files stacked up on the table.  Shad and I bought the painting in Chicago's Chinatown only to find that we couldn't bring it home with the top down on the convertible and the air conditioning didn't work.  I get a lot of comments about my "antique" wall clock that in reality came from Dollar General and cost all of $8.00.


These are some of the creatures that can be found in my office.  Lucky cat, of course, also came from Chicago's Chinatown.  Shad and the kids got the monkey for me out of a gumball machine and my boss brought Buddah back from Hawaii.  One of the newer guys at work drew the post-it smiley and hid it under a more professional, relevant post-it on one of our files.  I knew that he was going to fit in!


This is the top of the bookshelf in my office.  The painting is an original "Susan" - might the subjects look familiar?  The picture on the left is one that I took from a moving train in Switzerland that just happened to turn out perfectly (back in the days before digital cameras!)  I have a small wedding photo and my 'Bama mug along with my $.99 owl back from the GW Boutique.  I took the second picture shown in Texas about five years ago.  The quote is one of Theodore Roosevelt's and kinda leads me to believe that I should read more about him as, from what quotes I've seen on the interwebs, I understand what he's getting at.  Finally, no glasses-holder is complete without a fake moustache from the mexican place!


This is another little vignette from my office.  As you likely recall from past posts, the "Z" represents a high-school nickname.  I bought the typewriter just after starting this blog (again a GW Boutique find, again at $.99!)  The picture is one that I took on an early morning in July of 2006 from our hotel on Daytona Beach.  I miss the beach!

I have some other art in my office.  Let's take a look, shall we?

A Crowded Space - Elsie Flanagan

I fell in love with this painting during my last trip to RVA with VBF and her girls.  It wasn't quite finished at the time that we saw it so I waited (not so) patiently until it was listed for sale on the website.  I know it couldn't have been listed for a whole day before I swooped in and got it; however, if you like it as much as I do you can still buy a print of the painting here.

Magical Tree - Elizabeth Chapman

I picked this painting up during my first RVA trip with VBF (sans kiddos!).  The artist is Elsie Flanagan's mom and had several paintings on display.  I bought this one and another one that's hanging out in the craft room at home.  This painting makes me think of a swamp complete with hanging tree covered with moss where fireflies hang out near the cabin.  That's what I like about abstract art - no one's going to tell me that my interpretation is wrong because no one (besides the artist of course) knows exactly what the painting depicts.  Yay abstract art!


Groovin' - Mary Tumulty

We found this painting at a record shop and I fell in love.  Shad ended up buying it for me and, aside from the masterpieces produced by the kids and an awesome pencil drawing that VBF did for me my freshman year of college, this is the first piece of original artwork that I owned.  It appears that Ms. Tumulty has taken a brief hiatus from art, but she has an etsy store here that she says she will update every now and then.....

Tropical Storm - Keith Wilson

Shad and I were eating at One World Cafe in Peoria, Illinois, when I noticed this painting, along with several others, adorning the walls.  It turns out that Mr. Wilson was having a show/exhibit at One World and that the painting that had caught my eye was actually for sale!  Surely you have surmised that I did, in fact, purchase said painting and it is now hanging in my office.  Some of the ladies here at work insist that they can see Santa (the white blob) As well as certain male genitalia (bottom right).  See, again it's up to interpretation.  Perhaps these same ladies have erotic thoughts about old St. Nick?!?!?

Most favorite and least favorite in one picture!

One of these things are not like the other.....  Okay, I don't mind the landscape so much, especially considering that it belongs to my boss and his taste otherwise seems to tend strongly toward little kids and black labs with guns and geese, but it's not necessarily something that I would have picked up on my own.  In sharp contrast, the smaller painting was done by my most favorite artist of all time.  His other work can currently be seen on our front porch and in the basement, where he has recently completed a two-day project which incompasses two whole rooms!

Almost time to wrap up, but first - wanna get in my drawers?


It's like a treasure chest isn't it?  Wayne's World, Wayne's World 2, Clueless, Platoon, Coraline and Lewis Black: Red, White & Screwed with LOTR: The Two Towers hidden in the back.  A Barenaked Ladies CD/DVD combo that I found at Dollar Tree for - you guessed it - $1.00 and a G. Love album round out my musical choices.  The stickers came in the mail as a "free gift" and I haven't gotten around to reading the October issue of Ladies' Home Journal yet.  Just a plethora of fun, am I right?

I hope you have enjoyed this little peak into my life at work.  Even though I'm not currently getting any work done.  Because I was doing this.  And watching LOTR: The Two Towers.  Which has prompted me to do another post.  Probably just above this one.  Don't worry if you miss it, it's not likely to be earth-shattering or anything.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment