Monday, November 8, 2010

4 Stories - Color

Okay, you all know the drill on the "4 Stories" thing, right?  This one is about Color.


One - Orange Yellow

The orange yellow crayon was generally the most used color in the box.  Point dulled by constant use and paper jacket ripped halfway down, orange yellow was my go-to color choice.  No picture was complete until there was at least a hint of this happy little color.  Halloween picture?  You'd better believe there would be an orange yellow moon or that the spooky black cat would peer at you with orange yellow eyes.  Underwater scene?  There's nothing more natural than an orange yellow fish.  Picture of a black hole?  The artist must sign her work in orange yellow, of course!  I still remember Jennifer's squeaky little grade-school voice when she asked, "Does every picture that you do have to have that yellow color in it?"  The answer, of course, was yes.

Two - Hair Color

I went through high school with every conceivable hair color that could come out of a box.  For the most part I was blonde, but I also flirted with dark brown, red, medium brown and most of the shades in between.  I'm sure that if the wilder colors would have been more available back in the day, I would have also given blue, green, orange yellow (!) and white a whirl.  One thing that I did learn very early on - do not use kool-aid to dye your hair.  In 5th grade Tricia used kool-aid to dye her hair green to go with her witchy Halloween costume and weeks later she still had a nice green tint to her locks.  Now my hair is naturally brown with a few gray hairs mixed in and I color it when I get bored - not to cover the gray.  I kinda like the gray hairs - they're sparkly!

Three - Mom and Dad's house

Growing up in my small town, it was often easier to give directions using locations and landmarks rather than street names or numbers.  The only problem was that for a number of years I lacked the ability to describe the color of "my" house.  Mom will tell you that back then it was a color called chamois and I can tell you now that I think the color was best described as "peach," but back then I lived in the tannish, yellowish, orangish house.  And if you think about it, isn't peach just a mix of tan, yellow and orange?!?!?


Four - Why is it always green?

For some reason I seem to attract the color green.  Not in all parts of my life - in fact, not in most parts of my life - but good gosh, when I get it I get it!  Sadly, it is not the green of money.  :(  My first experience occurred upon opening the door to my dorm room.  I'm not sure who had the room previously, but they were apparently a big fan, because each wall, from floor to ceiling, was an almost indescribable hue of bright green.  Kinda like the knock your eyeballs out, stand there in awe and take it all in green.  I brought my second experience on myself, but I swear that the green on the paint card in no way matched the bright, almost lime green that our bathroom ended up being for a few years.  Finally, when we moved into the new house last year, we found that the room that we were planning to use for our bedroom was - you guessed it - bright green.  Is there a reason that the ugliest shades of green take so many coats of paint to cover?

No comments:

Post a Comment