Wednesday, November 17, 2010

#31 Bites The Dust!

 31. Bake a cake (or cupcakes) from scratch - including icing
I chose to try the Lemon Cream Cupcakes recipe that I found on allrecipes.com.  I picked it because it had the most (and best) reviews, so I figured that surely someone else with my same basic skill level tried these.  Overall I would have to rate them about a 7 out of 10 - I was hoping for a little more lemon taste in the cake.  The frosting is good but VERY rich - probably a side-effect of being made with 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar and not a significant amount of anything else.  Here are some pictures from my little project:
The uncooked batter was actually really good!


I used Great Grandma Lula's Sunbeam Mixmaster - it's a beast!


The batter was thick

  
Definitely not too bad with some milk!

 
Yeah, I made it!


Nothing but crumbs baby!

Some fun facts about this evening:

*Tonight was the first time that I had ever zested a lemon.  I actually zested two lemons, which the kids were happy to eat afterwards.  They actually like to eat lemons by themselves with some salt.  They apparently learned this from Shad.  He's weird.  So are they.

*I love my great-grandma's mixer.  I've had it for years and years and years now and it's amazing.  I've used it to make divinity several times as well as numerous cookies, cakes, etc.  Every time I think that it's going to give up the ghost it keeps beating on.

*I asked Shad to buy me a cupcake pan when he went to Wal-Mart this afternoon.  I really needed another one, and I know that if I asked him to pick one up for me he wouldn't pick out the cheapest one and would instead get me a decent one.  If I bought it, I'd probably go cheap and regret it.  It's nice to know that he won't!

*I really need a bigger mixing bowl.  After all of the ingredients were finally added, I ended up slopping batter hither thither and yon throughout the kitchen.  Of course Shad and the kids had to comment on it any time that they came into the kitchen.

*I used an ice cream scoop to get the batter into the cupcake liners.  The recipe said to use 1/4 cup of batter for each cupcake, so I eyeballed it and decided that the ice cream scoop was pretty close to 1/4 of a cup.  I must have been at least close, or else the exact amount wasn't really that important.  It was actually pretty cool - I didn't get as much batter on the pan as I usually do.  I absolutely can't take credit for the idea because I'm sure I must have heard/read about it somewhere.  I just can't remember where right now.

*I used a bunch of bananas to support the camera when I took the picture of me with the cupcake.  Right before I (finally) got the shot set up, the cupcake fell over and the top fell off.  I had to hold it on for that picture.  I know that you can see my bra strap.  I think the shirt makes my eyes look really blue.

*We've been incorporating random plates, coffee cups and silverware into our house.  Most of our "new" stuff is 1970s'ish and brown, yellow, cream, orange and green.  The plate that I ate the cupcake on is one of my favorites!

Two down and 38 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment