Wednesday, November 24, 2010

4 Stories - Hairdos


One - The Perm

When I was in 5th grade my best friend Laura got a perm.  This was back in the day of feathered (not to be confused with teased!) sides and bangs and Laura's perm was awesome - the absolute pinnacle of 1980s hair.  I begged my mom to let me get a perm.  Repeatedly.  She finally repented and allowed me to get one.  The catch?  Grandma Rosalie would be my hairstylist.  Looking back, I have no idea what grandma's credentials were, but she got me all rolled up and processed without any trouble.  After sitting for what seemed like hours with foul-smelling chemical fumes wafting from my noggin, I distinctly remember kneeling over the edge of my grandparents' bathtub (it was either pink or rosy red) while grandma helped me rinse and towel off my hair.  Moments later I gazed eagerly into the mirror, certain that I was going to see my very own perfectly-feathered coif.  But instead of Farrah Fawcett's flowing feathers my head was covered with Little Orphan Annie curls!  I cried.  A lot.  Uncontrollably.  Looking back I feel absolutely horrible about my reaction.  It was actually a very good perm and I would kill to have those adorable curls now, but back then I was devastated.  My grandma and I never talked about the perm, but I would like to hope that she didn't take my tears too personally.  She passed away several years ago.  Do you think she's forgiven me?

Two - The Braid

Fast-forward to the early 1990s.  It was the time of big blown-out hair featuring bangs that towered inches above the heads of teenaged girls, bolstered by cans upon cans of Aqua Net hairspray.  Not this girl, though!  I opted instead for the asymmetrical 'doo complete with what simply became known as "the braid."  Picture a rat tail located not on the back of the head but on the left side, just behind the ear - frequently braided, often beaded, always fabulous!  The braid was an essential part of my look for quite a while.  It started as just a section of my hair woven into a small braid, but as my hair grew and was cut the braid remained untouched.  Before too long the braid extended four or five inches below the rest of my hair.  That was the heyday of the braid and good times, indeed, but it was not to last.  'Twas a sad day when the braid and I were separated.  I'm pretty sure Ang even went into mourning for a while.


Three - What Hairdo?

For the last several (10+) years my hairdo can best be described as no hairdo.  I get my hair cut maybe twice a year, but aside from washing, occasionally conditioning and very rarely deep-conditioning, that's about it.  I own a blow drier which is most frequently used to clear the fog from the bathroom mirror.  I think that I still have hairspray somewhere, but if Malorie hasn't stolen it it is only because it's not Aqua Net or some other super-shellacking aerosol.  I'll throw in a barrette or a bow or other accessory every now in then but that's about as exciting as it gets. 


Four - The Next Generation

I think that the kids have been surprised at what they've been allowed to do with their hair.  While Malorie isn't as adventurous as she used to be - probably because her hair is gorgeous and she knows it! - Andrew still wants to experiment from time to time.  In the last year he dyed his naturally dirty blonde hair black, then shaved his head, then wore a faux hawk.  Right now his hair is back to his natural color with a fairly standard style, but I wouldn't be surprised if he came up with something different to do.  I think Malorie's haircare routine may be more elaborate than the greeting rituals for most heads of state - straightening, curling, teasing, spraying, etc.  Andrew is definitely much more simple - wash, comb (sometimes!) and go.

No comments:

Post a Comment