Sunday, November 21, 2010

The {21} Challenge - Day {1}

I've been keeping my eye on Rhonna Farrer's blog and The {21} Challenge for the last couple of weeks.  It's an awesome concept that combines a habit you want to make or break (the theory being that it takes 21 days to start or stop a habit) with art journaling and inspirational quotes; but to be honest, I just wasn't ready when the rest of the group took off.  For some reason as I lay in bed last night it struck me - now is the time.

They've done this a couple of times now so if you check Rhonna's blog you can get at least two takes on each day of the challenge.  I personally like the quotes that were posted with the September 2009 challenge, so I plan to post them on the applicable day.  You can go to the earlier version of each day by clicking on the quote - the more recent version will be linked to the day (i.e. "Day {1}").



Last Christmas (seriously, like on Christmas) I started a regime of healthier eating at exercise.  Over the next four months I lost 40+ pounds and worked into the best shape that I'd been in for years, but alas, I have backslid.  I felt powerful and in control of my life when I was taking the time to treat myself right.  Plus, I gotta tell you that it's a lot more fun to buy clothes in a smaller size!

I will eat healthier.  That does not mean that I will restrict myself to 500 calories a day, but it does mean that I will eat sensibly and forgo what has become my daily Twix fix.  I will consider my food choices and opt for fresh, healthy foods instead of heavy, fried alternatives.  I will resist the quick-fix of giving into momentary food cravings for the long term satisfaction of accomplishment.  I can do this.

I will exercise.  I may start out by taking the stairs instead of the elevator at work or walking at a moderate pace on the treadmill, but I will stay with it until I regain my strength and stamina of eight months ago.  I will not beat myself up if I can't do a traditional workout - instead I will remember that any physical effort that I make is bringing me one step closer to my goal.  I will not be self-conscious about my efforts.  I can do this.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the art journaling - I hate to obligate myself to another daily post but it seems as though there may be some benefit to sharing that part of the work as well.  Perhaps I'll scan in my pages and post them on my flickr account.  Perhaps not.  I guess we'll just have to see.....

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment