Wednesday, November 17, 2010

True Blood Got It Wrong!

Okay, this is going to make sense to like two people in the whole world and won't mean a darn thing to you if you haven't both read the Sookie Stackhouse books and watched at least some of the True Blood series, but it's something that has to be said.

Per Wikipedia, In the first novel, Dead Until Dark, Sookie Stackhouse thinks Eric Northman is a "hunk." Sookie describes him as “handsome, in fact, radiant; blond and blue-eyed, tall and broad shouldered. He was wearing boots, jeans, and a vest. Period. Kind of like the guys on the cover of romance books."  He’s approximately six-foot-five. When Sookie sees him naked for the first time in Dead to the World, she thinks, “if there were an international butt competition, Eric would win, hands down – or cheeks up.”

So this is the guy that they cast for Eric. 

Alexander Skarsgard 
Not truly bad, I guess, but I still think they could have done better.  For me, reading the books, this guy was Eric - 

 Karl (not to be confused with Keith) Urban

I think we've definitely hit on tall, blond, broad-shouldered and handsome here.  Pop in some blue contacts and Mr. Urban is ready for his close-up as Eric, right?

I guess that's one drawback of reading books that are later turned into television shows or movies - it never seems like the casting people get it exactly right.  And never doubt - the book is always better!

Along that same vein - vein? vane? Vane didn't make sense to me and I figured it could be like a "vein" of silver or something that you would follow along, kinda like I'm asking you to follow me along this same or a similar line of thought - Stephen King writes some decent books, but his movie and/or television adaptations are usually wretched!  I wonder if he doesn't do it somewhat knowingly, as it seems as though the same actors are in all of his adaptations.

That is all.  For now.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment