Monday, November 22, 2010

I'm Making A List....

When I was little my sister and I would wait with breathless anticipation for the arrival of the JCPenneys and Sears Christmas catalogues.  We would fight over who got to look through them first and devise complicated ways in which to mark our Christmas wish list.  I feel kinda sorry for the kids now that only have the weekly fliers to peruse, because back in the day you could spend most of a morning going through the catalogues, marking pages and then making a list.  Now that I think about it, I wonder if mom didn't look forward to the arrival of those magazines almost as much as we did, since they practically guaranteed a couple of hours of (mostly) quiet!  Anything you want to 'fess up to mom?

Anyway, I thought I would take a minute or two and show y'all some things that I hope to find under the tree this year - since I've been so good and all....   ;)

Vintage Wooden Picnic Basket with Lid


How cute would something like this be to store my yarn and/or material in while I'm working on a project?  Big enough to contain all of my supplies in one area and kinda adorable, too, this would definitely be high on my "Wish List."

Yeah, so I found a great deal on one of these at the GW Boutique and snatched it up for my own self.  I was right, by the way, because it makes an excellent materials storage container!  If someone just happens to find another one at a good price I'm sure I could provide a good home for it.....


I know, okay?

I should be more cerebral than to admit that I watch (and enjoy) True Blood, but I just can't help myself.  I read the books, I like the series, but since it's on HBO I have to wait until the box sets come out before I can catch up on the seasons.  It makes me sad - like this :( - but it's also probably better for me in a way because I can catch a whole season in one weekend and don't have to do all of that week-to-week waiting that the traditional viewers have to endure. 


 
Vintage quilts *sigh*

I think Shad gets frustrated because I already have a good number of really spectacular quilts but I refuse to put them into general use in our household.  Might that have something to do with the three big dogs and the 13 year old boy who likes to play tug of war with the dogs using whatever is handy, including but not limited to general use blankets?  To answer my own question, of course it does.  One day, though, the dogs will not want to tug so much and the boy will be older and less prone to using my favorite items for canine play.  When that happens, my friends, the entire house shall be awash with vintage quilts and afghans.  Just you wait and see!


Boxes and boxes please!

It's the age-old problem (as opposed to an old-age problem, which I guess would be like incontinence or Alzheimer's) - the cameras are dirt cheap and the film is "higher than a cat's [butt]".  I now own three Polaroid cameras and have only three exposures left.  'Tis sad.  Sad indeed.


 
Six Quart Crock Pot

With winter coming on (although it's hard to think about with these 70 degree days!) I am sad to report that our current crock pot is on its last legs.  A crack has appeared that runs the length of the bottom of the pot and, although it doesn't leak yet, it's just a matter of time until the whole things cracks in half like an egg and whatever I'm cooking at the moment flows into the super-hot metal below.  How do I know that it's super-hot?  Two ways actually - for one, I'm kinda smart and you have to assume that if the crock pot makes things hot it's probably the metal that's heating up the crock and contents.  For two, I'm not always that smart and I may have (accidentally) made contact with aforementioned super-hot metal once or twice.



What can I say?  Even with the Kindle I still like to have the occasional "real" book in my hands.  (If this is something that you're seriously thinking about purchasing for me, please click the picture for the link to Amazon.com where you can find the book for like 60% off the cover price.)  It's kinda a Christmas tradition for me to ask for a book - blame it on my parents I guess.  It's usually Stephen King, but one year it was the first three Anne of Green Gables books and another year it was  tales of Trixie Belden, intrepid girl detective.  You can't hardly go wrong with a book.



Speaking of books, how cute is this one?  As a "just getting reintroduced to the world of crocheting" crafter, these little ghouls and creatures would sure make me want to keep the hooks and yarn out! 


A silicone wisk or two would fit in my stocking!

No link for the wisks, but I would suspect that one could be found at one of the local stores.  I realized that I was wisk-less last night when I was making tomato soup.  Luckily I had a hand-beater or I would have been stirring that darn soup forever to get it blended!  It can be pretty wisky when you cook without proper tools!


My pie-in-the-sky Christmas wish (Holga camera) paired with
The Holga fisheye lens!

I'm just in love with wide-angle/fisheye pictures and this seems like it would probably be a good way to get back into film photography.  I am definitely not suggesting that anyone actually purchase these items, because it's not like I've been that good!

Now it's up to you to be fair and let me know what you're hoping to find under the tree (or menorah, or Winter Solstice decoration, or birthday cake, or whatever you may or may not use to celebrate this holiday season) this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment