Sunday, October 31, 2010

Small Town Friday Night

We won!

Friday night football games are the social highlight of the weekend.  We moved back to the town that I went to high school in, so the games are at the same field next to the same school that I went to 20 or so years ago.  What's really weird for me is that the football players are the kids of people that I went to high school with way back when, so even if I don't know a kid's name I can almost always come up with one or both of the parent's names. 

A lot is the same - the band still sits in the same section of bleachers, the same familiar voice announces the games over the loudspeakers and the parking lot is still the same confusing mess to get out of after the game - but a lot has changed, too.  The team now enters the field through an inflatable tunnel to a mix of heavy metal music that generally has the fans (many of whom are parents and grandparents) covering their ears and cheering when the music stops.  It definitely seems like Shad and I are the only ones in the stands who actually appreciate Slipknot as it blares over the tinny loudspeakers.  Maybe that's it!  It's the sound system!  If we only had a decent system everyone else would be rocking out to "Before I Forget" just like we do! 

Forgive me readers, for I have mislead you just now.  I didn't honestly mean even one of those last three exclamation marks.

We have another playoff game next weekend against the team that we have developed a not-so-friendly rivalry with.  It started when some of "our" people went and trashed their football field (why, I simply can't fathom) so of course some of "their" people came over and trashed our field just before Friday night's game (which is much easier for me to fathom).  "Their" town is only about 10 miles away from "our" town and the last time we played them in regular season the field was packed.  I can only imagine the chaos that awaits us next Friday.

Thanks for going down memory lane with me!


No comments:

Post a Comment