Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Accessorized - Today I Wore Purple

I promise that the flowers were a deep, royal purple and not the blue that this picture makes them look!

For those of you who know me well you know that purple is my least favorite color.  Ever.  I don't know when my aversion to purple started (but I can tell you that Barney didn't help it any!) but it runs deep.  Nevertheless, last night I spent some time crocheting some purple flowers to affix to my sweater today to show my support for this cause:
One of my facebook friends invited me to this "event" in which people wear purple today to show support for all of the gay and lesbian people who have been bullied as a result of their sexual orientation.  Specifically, the event is in memory of six young men who committed suicide after being threatened, harassed and targeted for being gay.

I just don't get it.  Why would you persecute someone based on who they are attracted to?  From what I've seen gay and lesbian relationships are very similar to heterosexual ones - some good, some bad, some lasting, some fleeting.  People are people.  If we all try to live the best life that we can, doing more good than harm, helping where we can, putting a little more love into the world, why would who we lay down with at night make any difference?

No comments:

Post a Comment