Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Whoo-hoo!


Okay, so now we've got the desktop up and running. You know what that means, right?!?!? Picture capabilities!


I've put a little thought into what my first blog picture would be, and I've decided that I will share with you (being singular or plural, depending on how personal or impersonal you are reading this blog to be) the books that I bought today.


The little book is the Tao Teh Ching. Purchased at Goodwill for the exorbitant price of $.49, this includes the classic teachings of Chinese philosophy said to be useful in developing a sense of balance and harmony in everyday life. Balance and harmony for $.49? Can't beat that!


The book on the top of the stack is Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris. This was today's splurge at $5.99. I wish I could pretend that it was some high-brow literary masterpiece, but let's face it - this is vampire/werewolf/shape-shifter/telepath smut at it's finest. I think this is the fourth book in the Sookie Stackhouse series, which incidentally is the series that HBO's True Blood tv series is based on. (I also purchased the first season of True Blood on DVD for $18.88 today, but since it's shipping from China I doubt I see it for quite awhile.)


Next down is the incomparable Uncle John's Unstoppable Reader. Another Goodwill find, this cost a whopping $.99. Yes, I do plan to read it in the bathroom. I'm pretty sure that it's required.


I'm trying out a new series with The Conqueror by Georgette Heyer. For $.49, I figured I could test the waters so to speak and see if it would be worth reading more of the books. This one is about William the Conqueror who was apparently a bastard son who ascended to England's throne. I am partial to historical books, mostly about the Elizabethan era, and I think this fits in pretty close.


Finally we have The Virgin's Lover by Philippa Gregory, the author who wrote The Other Boleyn Girl. I'm pretty sure that I've read this before, but again, when you find a like-new hardback book by an author that you know you like for $.99, it's pretty hard to pass up. This particular book is not quite as tantalizing as it sounds - more historical than smut. I just noticed that this is a large print edition, so the good news is that I'll be able to read it 40 years from now when my eyesight is shot.


So other than buying even more books, I got to watch both The Ultimate Fighter semi-final fights and the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup. I tend to watch t.v. like a guy - switching back and forth between the most violent shows currently on. I'm lucky that Shad doesn't fight me for the remote. Of course, I guess if I'm brushing up on all of the floor-checking and take-down techniques maybe he's the lucky one.....


Well, hope you (singular and/or plural as you wish) had a happy Hump Day!
Susan


No comments:

Post a Comment