Saturday, June 26, 2010

Pushing Creativity

I have a phenominal craft room on the second floor of our house. What it lacks in size it definitely makes up for in content - I have a little bit of everything in there. I can't remember a time when one of the kids have said, "Do we have....." that I haven't been able to go upstairs and pull out exactly what they need. I find, however that the plethora of things that I have is causing me creative problems. What project to start (or finish) first? Shall I sew or scrapbook? Perhaps jewelry-making would better suit me today. Not in the mood for beading? I could just paint.....

My next great idea is to start a small business to promote all of this possible crafty goodness. I think it really makes sense. I can put all of my materials to good use and perhaps see a little return. I don't delude myself into thinking that I'm going to be the next great crafter to hit the big time - frankly, I'm not quite creative enough for that - but there is a festival-type activity where I could sell my miscellaneous wares. Seems like a good idea to me.

The only problem is that since I've come up with this grand scheme I go up into the craft room and sit. And look. Sometimes I clean. Here lately though, I'm not crafting much. It's like crafter's block has dropped upon my head and I need to find a way to break out of it.

I ordered a new point-and-shoot camera today that should be here within the next week or two. Maybe that will be the catalyst that I need - after all, Malorie has promised to participate in a photo shoot and has been coming up with outfits and ideas for the last couple of months. Maybe that shoot (and a couple of roadtrips on the bike, of course!) will snap be out of my creative funk. I hope so.

On another note, I'm pretty proud of myself. We went to Barnes & Noble last night and I went to the GW Boutique this afternoon and I only bought two books (both from GW - total cost $.98) and one of them was for a craft project that I've been doing. You know it's an addiction when a "good" weekend is defined by only buying two books! I know I should fight it, but I suspect it's like those poor misguided people that are addicted to exercise - I justify my book-buying by saying that at least I'm broadening my mind.....

I've been on the kids' laptops for the last couple of posts, hence the lack of pictures. The desktop computer seems to have taken a massive data-dump (either that or it has a binary blockage! Haha folks, that's computer humor for y'all!) and is currently unusable. Bleck.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend. Stay cool, fool!

No comments:

Post a Comment