Friday, December 3, 2010

So Here's What I've Been Up To

My days have ran together lately.  This week it seems like I've been out of my office more than I've been in (which is a good change of pace!) which has really discombobulated me as far as what day this even is.  Friday, right?  Who could forget our old friend Friday?!?!?

I went to the dentist Wednesday to get some fillings replaced.  I've been seeing a new dentist who can't have been out of dental school too long.  I guess I'm getting to that age when my professional providers might legitimately be younger than me, but it's still a little weird for me to contemplate.  I don't know why.  Actually, I probably do know why - no matter how much I age chronologically, in my head I've stuck at a certain age (which can vary depending on circumstances) and my "dental" mental age is younger than my dentist.  Make sense?  Of course it doesn't!

Anyway, dentist.  Two fillings.  Griped at (nicely) about the fact that I ask for nitrous.  Certain insinuations were made that I am less-than-tough because I won't suck it up and let them work without it.  I did not take the bait.  I'm a dental wimp and the nitrous makes it more tolerable.  It also makes it much less likely that I'm gonna come out of the dental chair swinging and/or that I'm gonna bite somebody.  That's just how it is and I've learned to deal with it.

Hmmm.....Tuesday.  Busy all day at work.  I really can't even remember what I did when I got home from work, but I do remember that I was fairly exhausted.  Was that the day that I tried the "Buffalo Chicken Burger" recipe?  Could have been.  Whenever it was, they were pretty good.  I had to use turkey instead of chicken because our grocery store doesn't carry ground chicken, but with all of the other ingredients I figured that no one would notice.  They didn't and the burgers went over pretty well.

Let me break in here to say that I'm damn proud of the fact that I've been keeping up with my "One A Day" photo series.  I know that the pictures that I post aren't always masterpieces and they aren't necessarily the most fascinating subjects, but the whole exercise really has made me look at my surroundings in a new way.  I try to carry a camera in my purse everyday so that I can take advantage of some of my new observations and really miss it when I don't have it with me.  I've also learned that some people are going to look at you crazy when you stop in the middle of the stairway at work to take a picture of the stairs above you, but if you explain what you're doing and why they seem to think it's a pretty cool idea.  Go on with your crazy picture-taking self!

Yesterday I got to go on a road trip!  It was kind of a last-minute thing (even though I had been planning to ask the boss if I could go since Wednesday afternoon) that got me out of the office for most of the day.  Joe (of Army lanyard fame) and I drove almost three hours to meet with some colleagues across state lines.  I find that he's a pretty good road trip partner and a heck of a story-teller!  I mean, he's no Shad (who is my favorite road-tripping partner of all time, forever and ever!), but he didn't stop the car and kick me out, so that was good. 

Remember just then when I said that I usually have my camera in my purse?  Yeah, well not so much yesterday, which I am still kicking myself in the butt for.  The town that we went to had some really cool architecture and there were a lot of interesting sights along the way.  I can't believe that I missed my opportunity to have a photograph of the two round-bale snowmen with hubcap eyes!  I suspect that by the fifth or seventh time I had mentioned that I wished I had my camera Joe was ready to (A) buy me one to shut me the heck up (B) tape my mouth up to shut me the heck up or (C) jam pencils into his ears in an attempt to make himself deaf in the event that I wouldn't shut the heck up.  I'm just saying that I could have had a way cooler "One A Day" for yesterday, even though I am insanely proud of my yo-yo crocheting skills....

Who, in this day and age, departs on a nearly 200 mile trip with only Mapquest directions in hand?  I can tell you at least one person who is so daring, and it's not me.  Way back in the day my pops taught me how to read a map and no matter what other tools are available I'm just not comfortable unless I have a real, actual, physical map in my vehicle.  When I popped into the car Joe named me navigator for the day and handed over four pages of printouts from Mapquest allegedly designed to get us from one place to another.  The maps were of course teeny-tiny and the directions included like three different alternatives for each roadway, none of which seemed familiar.  Did we have GPS?  Nope.  Regular old map?  Not even.  Reverse directions to get us back home?  Fake it until you make it, baby!

I am happy to report that we made it to our destination in fairly good time and with only one or two U-turns.  We might have wandered a bit off course on the way back, but by driving "toward the light" and in the general direction of home we were able to correct and return safely.  I need a fairly laid-back traveling companion, because I tend to view these little diversions as adventures instead of obstacles.  After about ten or so minutes (and determining that we were headed in the right direction) I even had Joe saying, "Now see, we wouldn't have seen that if we would have followed the directions."  Coming back after dark you really notice how over-the-top some people get with their Christmas yard decorations.  Again, if I would have had my camera!!!!

Okay, I'm going to take advantage of being up this early and do a little treadmill time.  Catch ya later, tubers!  (Because potatoes are tubers, ya see?  I mean, I think I heard that they were somewhere.  I'm not going to fact-check that, so don't quote me or anything.  Unless I'm right.)

No comments:

Post a Comment