Friday, September 3, 2010

Sometimes Life Confuses Me

Okay, maybe not life so much, but more like people I come into contact with during the course of my life.

My biggest "What the heck?" moment came yesterday. You know when you tell someone, "If you do A, the result will be B." To me, especially if the person making the statement is in a position of power or authority, it seems pretty easy. If you want "B" to happen then you do "A." If you do not want "B" to happen, avoid doing "A." Seems straight forward, right?

I seem to constantly encounter people who can verbalize the "if A then B" concept but then cannot understand the actual implications. Say "A" equals getting in trouble and "B" equals getting kicked out of school and the principal of your school says, "If you get in trouble one more time, you're going to get kicked out of school." To me it's simple - if you don't want kicked out of school, you don't get in trouble. You stay far, far away from trouble. Looks like trouble? Run away. Far away.

Instead I get to deal with the people that think so long as the trouble isn't that they killed someone or burned the school down, there really isn't a reason that they would get kicked out of school. After all, it was just a cigarette, a fight, whatever. You didn't really mean that kind of trouble, did you? Yep, sure did. And we wonder why society is declining.....

You haven't lived until you're sitting at the computer and get a surprise ear-hole sniff by a big dog. Ask me how I know that.

By the way, it happened again. I got out of work almost an hour late because of something that came up "last minute." I don't mind so much, really I don't, but why doesn't this stuff come up at 10:00 on Monday morning instead of 3:30 on Friday afternoon?

I shall leave you with a quote that I found recently that ties into today's post.

"It is no use to preach to [children] if you do not act decently yourself." - Theodore Roosevelt


**Whoo-hoo! Another perfectly-spelled post! Go grammar! Go spelling! Go grammar! Go spelling!**

No comments:

Post a Comment