Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I Don't Wanna Grow Up

I really don't. Sure, now I've put the song from that old commercial in your head and quite possibly dated myself in the process, but I really must know. When did it become incumbent upon me to be the responsible one? All of the sudden I'm the one cleaning out the litter box, making sure that the animals are fed, folding the laundry and enforcing bedtimes, and that really seems like more of a "grown up" job list than what I'm qualified for...

Is that how all "grown ups" become "grown up"? Is it kind of a default thing, like since I'm the oldest person in the house the "responsible" jobs fall to me? I'm not saying that Shad isn't responsible, because he really and truly is - after all, he even built us a window for the garage and who else do you know that actually builds a window? But do you think he really cares if all of the dishes are done and the laundry is put away before we go out of town? And I know if it was up to him we'd buy new shampoo, toothbrushes and other necessary toiletries once we got to our destination instead of making sure that they were all packed beforehand. Don't even get me started about sunscreen!

See what I'm talking about? Sunscreen, for Pete's sake! And not that crappy SPF4 see-I'm-doing-what-I'm-supposed-to-but-just-barely sunscreen, but the heavy duty SPF50 sweatproof, waterproof, windproof stuff that takes twenty minutes to rub in completely. Yep, that's become me. Yipee.

Completely off topic, but what in the heck is the fascination with cats and scotch tape? I've had to rescue my tape from Oscar twice now, and he's still eyeing the roll with desire in his eye. He's also bad about licking - yes licking - photographs. The cat ain't right.

Sorry I missed posting yesterday, but Shad and I went to a visitation for the father of one of my best friends from high school. He was sick for quite a while, so it was not unexpected, but I don't know that you can prepare yourself for the loss of a parent. I know that it's not something that I'm likely to ever be "ready" for, no matter if it happens tomorrow or 30 years from now. I guess that would probably be the last step in really growing up, huh?

Lately I've been wondering if it would be easier to have a pretty decent idea of when you're going to die and have time to prepare everything, do all of the things that you want to do, say all of the things that you want to say, all that, or to just have it happen. While there will always be more things that I want to do, I would have to say that I don't think that I would feel as if I missed a lot if I go tomorrow. Great family, good friends, some really interesting life experiences and doing as much good (or at least what I perceive to be "good") as I can. I think that's what we're supposed to be doing here, right?

Night all!

No comments:

Post a Comment